The HLO norm is that in their effort to equip or train leaders for service in the Kingdom of God, they must use the Bible as their primary textbook and carry out their work in harmony with the Spirit and the Word of God. To this end, administrators and professors must be members of the non-denominational communities of the Christian Churches orChurches of Christ. They must believe without reservation in the complete and definitive inspiration of the Bible and that in its totality it is the infallible Word of God, and therefore the sufficient rule of faith and life; in the deity and supreme authority of Christ; in obedience to the Gospel; in the building of the church; and in the restoration of unity on the basis of the New Testament.
Believing that such faith, and a Church founded in harmony with this faith, are essential for the salvation of the world, we at HLO will endeavor to empower and inspire its students to be effective servants in the body of Christ.
OUR DECLARATION OF FAITH:
- That there is only one true, eternal God, creator and sustainer of all, revealed in the Old and New Testaments as the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- The sixty-six books of the Old and New Testaments are fully inspired, trustworthy, relevant, and error-free and serve as the only written Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16 & Psalm 119: 105).
- Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, born of the virgin Mary, and is in every way our only Savior (1 Corinthians 15: 1-8 & John 3:16).
- Jesus lived a sinless life, died on the cross for the atonement of all people and rose bodily from the grave to a state of immortality (John 3:16).
- Jesus commissioned His apostles and His Church to present the plan of salvation to all people of all nations.
- The only terms of salvation that we can proclaim are expressed in the New Testament and are: faith, repentance, confession of faith in Jesus Christ, baptism by immersion in water for the forgiveness of sins and the promised presence of the Holy Spirit in those who have risen from the dead at baptism (Romans 10: 9 & Acts 2:38).
- The basis of the unity of all believers is a commitment to the authority of the New Testament (Ephesians 4: 1-6)
- Jesus will one day return in visible form to judge all people according to their deeds and to issue either eternal bliss in heaven or eternal suffering in hell (1 Thessalonians 4: 13-18).